Monday 15 September 2014

Zest for Life - Fanny Cradock's Lemon Soufflé Jelly Cake

Fanny says that you can make a jelly out of any fruits you might happen to have lying around the house. She even recommends replacing sweet wine wine for any water when making a jelly, for adults only, I like that. Alcoholic jellies always seem like a naughty treat. For this final creation in the Jelly partwork Fanny gives the humble lemon centre stage. I've been learning a lot about Agar Agar as a replacement for gelatine over the past few weeks as I turn all Fannys jellies vegetarian, and the main thing to learn is that it doesn't mix well with acid, in particular citrus fruits. I wonder though how it would react to that Italian Lemon liqueur, Limoncello, often found lurking at the back of even the most respectable cocktail cabinet. Certainly in mine. So, would an alcoholic Limincello Soufflé Cake be fitting of a finale (for now) for Fannys jellies?


Fanny whips eggs, extra yolks and icing sugar together until they are thick and almost white. Fanny does warn that the mixture needs to be whipped for a VERY long time in a very large bowl. My KitchenAid Mixer, Sarah, comes in super handy for this task. I click my fingers, give her a very fake smile and she sets to work while I get on with the rest of the cake. Well actually, when I say cake I really mean assembly of the cake. Fanny suggests making a sponge, but I've bought a Madeira cake in the supermarket. Shoot me. 


Fanny says that this cake can have two presentation styles - individual or party for very special occasions. I think it might be fun to combine the two and have an 'individual party' - I'm celebrating the last of the jellies after all! So while Sarah works away without complaint, such a dedicated assistant, I exhaust myself by cutting two semi circles from the cake, which will make a full circle base. I really should've bought a bigger cake, or maybe used a smaller cutter, it's all too strenuous. 


Sarah does a marvellous job of whipping the eggs and sugar. Unfortunately I need to prepare the lemon jelly all by myself, but it's all the usual way so I am well rehearsed. The Agar flakes go into cold Limoncello (replacing the lemon juice and grated rind) brought to the boil then simmered for a few minutes until the flakes are all dissolved and mingled in nicely. Sarah continues to assist to whip the mixture as I add the hot lemony jellied Limoncello slowly. Fanny warns that the light mixture will collapse a lot as it combines, and sure enough it does. At this stage some double cream is blended in before heading straight into a pot, which is the same size as my cake base, to set. At least I hope it will.


I needn't have worried, after around an hour the Souffléd Lemon Creamy Jelly is set with still a good quiver evident when it's released from the mould. It comes away easily, as I wetted it before adding the mixture, naturally. Fanny assembles her party cake in layers and pipes cream stars. So do I. Almost apologetically she urges me to rush to the supermarket again to buy some candied lemon slice decorations. She's apologising because she simply doesn't have time to teach me how to make my own just yet, that will be saved for a future partwork. I don't have time to learn either, it's my party and I'll continue to add shop bought ingredients if I want to. The finished cake is really tasty, quite zingy and a more than a little bit naughty. I'm a little bit sad and a little bit happy to be saying goodbye, for now, to the wonderfully wibbly wobbly world of jellies, but this is a great send off. 

14 comments:

  1. Fabulous! That would definitely be a show stopper!! Love Limoncello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've left the limoncello in the cabinet for too long, I'll need to make better use of it, it's lovely!

      Delete
  2. Limoncello sounds delicious & what a great finish to your jelly adventure !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I think I'll be using the Limoncello again soon!

      Delete
  3. That's brilliant. I often buy Madeira cake for trifle making, love the totally Fanny-like decoration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee hee thanks Janice! Was a lot of fun to make it Fanny-like!

      Delete
  4. This looks wonderful! Fanny would be so proud. If love to meet Sarah sometime... Sure she'd get on with my Millie like a house on fire (though not literally, I hope!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live next door to a fire station, so I reckon we'd be safe! Be great to have a bake together at some point!

      Delete
  5. I do love a zingy cake... good old fanny for producing something so classically retro without ever knowing it!... looks beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dom, was a lot of fun to recreate... I think I'm becoming more retro than Fanny ever was!

      Delete
  6. You've outdone the spirit of Fanny this time. That's like a tower of limoncello Babel. Looks amazing, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW - fabulous showstopper! Love it!

    ReplyDelete