Monday 9 April 2018

Gotta Oughta Ricotta

The joy of Fanny has to be in the unexpected. I try not to look too far ahead to see what is coming next. I just love the element of surprise, delight and from time-to-time surprisingly delightful horror, that are contained within the technicolour pages of the partwork. It's not worth trying to second guess what Fanny has in mind, it's rarely what you might think, even if you apply previous knowledge of her work and erm, innovation, to your already over-active imagination. Fanny's is in overdrive.

Fanny Cradock Ricotta Soufflé

We are still cooking with cheese. I've been hopeful for something savoury and well. cheesy. So far, however, it's all been sweet. Today is no exception as we tackle an Italian Budino di Ricotta, or a plain old cream cheese pudding if like me, you're Italian is ropey. Fanny's Italian was very ropey indeed, so let's hope that Budino does actually translate as pudding...

Fanny Cradock Ricotta Soufflé

Fanny begins by beating together the ricotta - or any of her dreamy creamy homemade cheese should you have any left - with ground almonds, icing sugar and a flavouring. Fanny suggests lemon, but I don't have any, so substitute with vanilla. The mix is quite wet. Fanny whips up a lot of egg whites until they are very stiff indeed and gently folds them in, before transferring to a buttered soufflé mould to bake for thirty minutes.

Fanny Cradock Ricotta Soufflé

It emerges from the oven as a gloriously risen, well, soufflé, but as it cooled it sank down again. I think Fanny knew it would be looking less than appealing as it was turned out of the mould, so she had an idea up her chiffon sleeve to turn things around. Boudoir Biscuits and coloured icing. She sits the ricotta pud on a sponge base before surrounding it with the biscuits dipped in heavily coloured icing. Of course she does. What else would she do?

Fanny Cradock Ricotta Soufflé

It certainly makes it seem cheerier. She's not finished there. Cream piping. Always required. Suddenly this old pudding is looking quite splendid indeed. Unless of course my retro-loving eyes have become tainted by Fanny? Fanny finishes it off with some rose petals, primarily because she had a pretty plate with roses on it. I don't. The smell is lovely though, so shouldn't complain. It's a very unusual pudding, to look at and to taste, light and pillowy, nutty and sweet. As always with Fanny, she delivers something unexpected and slightly wonderful.  And blue.

Fanny Cradock Ricotta Soufflé

16 comments:

  1. It does look splendid, though the blue is unnerving. But very Fanny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very. I feel all nostalgic for blue icing, but realise it's a little weird too!

      Delete
  2. That did look rather unappealing at some point but looks amazing once finished and such great piping you did! I think I am going to try this one on some unsuspecting dinner guests. I don't have blue food dye so will use what I have...............red or green. Fanny would approve I think!! Can I just say congratulations on your continuing work on these dishes and by presenting it so fantastically via this website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Piping always saves the day! I'd LOVE to see what you make... and thanks!

      Delete
  3. Did you ever receive the pictures I sent you previously of my 'Christmas with Fanny' dinner party?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in 2016? I did, and replied... Shared them on Twitter too - looked great!

      Delete
    2. That's great, I didn't get your reply hence my asking, albeit a bit late in the day!!

      Delete
    3. You did reply to me though... I've sent you another message - hope I got the right Paul! Thanks...

      Delete
    4. You're right, my apologies. You did reply and I told you that I didn't have Twitter........it all comes back to me now!

      Yes I have made some more things although not as many as would have likes due to never seeming to have enough time :-( I have made the Angel Cake, Hungarian Goulash, Fruit Tea Bread, Vichyssoise, Gougere (several times - it's my go to recipe with roast beef now), Baked Mussels (many times), Crepe Bon Viveur (about 3 times), Swiss Roll, which I covered with chocolate orange ganache, chocolate layer cake & Liptauer Cheese (for a 1970's party. I have a LONG way to go!!!

      Delete
  4. This is actually very pretty! Sorry that I’m surprised, having been warned of Fanny in overdrive I wasn’t so sure. I should have trusted her. Brilliant post, you’ve got your sparkle back! X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, darling!

    Miss Windsor here!

    Thank you very muchly for your comment on my latest culinary creation - Miss Windsor's Celebration Cake. Originally a Mrs Beeton recipe, which I re-created with a few special twists!

    Darling - I adore this recipe. Everything about it is sooooo 1970's! The parrott blue ladies fingers clinging on to dear life, as they wait for the finishing touch of 'squirty' cream - Absolutely, fabulous, darling!

    I could possibly devour this fun and vibrant dessert in one mouthful!

    My grandmother Josie, would've have certainly appreciated your unfettered efforts of bringing darling Fanny back to life!

    Love your work. Looking forward to our future, as we 'carry on' cooking from the past!

    Cheerio for now,

    Miss Windsor X

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good gracious! What a colour....not much disceet about that electric blue, positively shocking!

    ReplyDelete