Thursday 20 November 2014

Fanny's Flash of Festive Flesh

Unlucky for vegetarians everywhere, part thirteen of the Cradock Cookery Programme focuses very much on meat. Fanny is anxious that we all save time running up to Christmas and look at some new techniques, new ideas and as always new presentations. However to reassure the readers of the club that she hasn't gone all modern really, she calls the part Christmas Mete, as in Ye Olde, and also includes a secret from her own grandmothers recipe book. Fannys Granny. Well, none of the recipes are suitable for me, but that doesn't mean that I can't marvel at the displays. Poor vegetarians, our Christmas tables must seem so very plain.


Fanny lets us know that many fancy London stores and supermarkets have installed machines which cage meat in fine elasticated string. No one can be sure about the rest of the country. Fanny says this is all happening just in time to save even more precious moments for Christmas. And what a time saver it was! Traditionally, these meat joints had to be tied up by 'professionals' in the old-fashioned way, taking at least five minutes. But, hurrah, thanks to the machine this job is cut to a mere 3 seconds. Fantastic. I assume that Fanny hopes you'll use the 'spare' four minutes and fifty-seven seconds to arrange your joints on platters with seasonal vegetables or of course pop them straight onto your spit-roast at home. Naturally. I am missing so much fun being a vegetarian. And it is so time consuming.


I bet you'll never have seen anything vegetarian arranged in such a splendid way as this Guard of Honour? No nut roast could ever resemble this. Fanny gets Johnnie to do the 'home butcher adventuring' to transform these ordinary but best neck ends of lamb into a show-off dish. This presumably saves Fanny even more time. Just get Johnnie to do it. 


Vegetables do help create a stunning centrepiece for an otherwise lacklustre saddle of lamb, so vegetarians shouldn't despair. I'd be happy with an oven-baked tomato spruced up with a sprig of Rosemary, some Brussels and a bed of peas, wouldn't you? Fanny says that baby sprouts are the only ones worth eating, steamed, bien sur.


If you are really strapped for time over Christmas, perhaps a French Sausage Roll would appeal? It's a huge baked garlic sausage covered in puff pastry which has been brushed in mustard. French Mustard. Oh and English too. Just like Fanny (ahem) an Anglo-French alliance. With all the spare time you have, best to tiddle things up with plaits of pastry. For those fancying a different bird this Christmas, Fanny reaches into her Grandmothers notebook and produces a Pigeon Pie. Fanny loves a pigeon. Not only do they taste great but the price is low too. The biggest advantage they have though, according to Fanny, is that very few pigeons are frozen, so the chances are you'll be eating fresh flesh. I'll stick to the freshly prepared baby sprouts if you don't mind. 

14 comments:

  1. I do love seeing the photos from Fanny's collection! I'd be seriously tempted to try recreate the guard of honour!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should include them more often, they are hilarious! I can send you the Guard of Honour instructions...? Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I think this blog could certainly be improved by turning up the colour saturation on the photos and using Windsor Bold in headlines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should count yourself lucky that you are veggie. There are serious cross contamination issues when she cooks turkey on her Christmas TV shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, health and safety nightmare! People wrote her nasty letters about it!

      Delete
  4. One of the later magazines has a picture of a huge grey stuffed liver which is the stuff of nightmares...
    Are you going to have a bash at any of the drinks?
    Some of the eggy ones sound a bit vomitous.
    Don't forget, to get your Diplome d'Or you must make something from each Partwork & send a letter from a friend or family member confirming that they have eaten & enjoyed it ;-)
    LOVED seeing Fanny Poncing about Venice on the BBC the other day looking, I thought, rather like Dick Emery in her faux patchwork touser & jaunty cap ensemble.
    I would wear the sharp beige felt number she sported while stepping into her Rolls very gladly.
    Yes I am obsessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The drinks are coming up, beware! I'll be disappointed if I send off for my diploma and it doesn't arrive! I'm hoping more of those clips from Nationwide of Fanny and Johnnie haunting around Europe appear soon, they were fabulous! Stay obsessed!

      Delete
  5. Oh Joy!
    Some of those drinks sound dangerous. What with the flambeing, the deep fat frying, the flaming drinks & the masses of frou frou synthetic decorations, I wonder if Fanny had the fire brigade paying regular visits?
    No internet in Fannys day, but I'm sure she will accept we blog readers as witnesses.
    Oh how I long to see more of those clips! Divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily the local Fire Station is right by my house! Hope you enjoy it via the blog!

      Delete
  6. Ha ha ha - thank god for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fanny's 'mete' isn't tempting me I'm afraid. That sea of peas almost makes me want to become vegetarian myself though!

    ReplyDelete