Thursday 23 June 2016

A Whack of Leather - Our Third Fanny-versary!

Three really is a magic number, but sometimes it feels a little overlooked. I mean everyone likes a 'first' don't they? Nothing better. The Winner! The Original! The Pioneer! Second feels like a real achievement, having kept going and 'done it again', still pretty good compared to first. Third though, it's a bit like, okay, that's great. A kind of 'well done' but also a 'what's for tea' kind of celebration really. So, it may just be me, but today I am shouting it loud and cheering (for myself) as Fanny and I celebrate a terrific three years together. Aw. That's 'leather' in anniversary terms... Oh. Best move on.

Fanny Cradock Three Tier Cake

Three years! You may not have been reading along from the very beginning (erm, but now I think of it, what not?), but that's a lot of weird and whacky recipes, a lot food colouring and a lot of mentions of poor, down-trodden assistants getting into hot water for not following instructions. That's probably where the leather comes in - a quick whack with a belt? It's also three years of learning new techniques, uncovering new flavour combinations and generally having a real laugh. Every day. That's not bad going is it? With Fanny watching over me. Every day. I don't think I've done anything deserving of a good belting. Yet.

Fanny Cradock Three Tier Cake

I must distract Fanny's mind from leather. Fortunately Fanny has just the thing in mind for 'our' celebration - a three tired cake. Okay, so she's got her celebrations a little mixed up, but it's the thought that counts isn't it? She remembered! Her idea is to make a three tiered wedding cake, perfect for a June bride. She did love a good wedding, whether in June or not. She even had a fake one or two along the way, often more than one at the same time, and never really much clarity on who was married to whom, but we're not being judge-y today of all days, it's a day to celebrate.

Fanny Cradock Three Tier Cake

Fanny suggests her tried and tested Christmas Cake (is it too early to mention?) for the three tiered triumph. We've made it before, together of course, but never in triplicate. Fanny informs us that the base layer is to be cut and eaten on the wedding day. The second layer should be stored away to celebrate the First Anniversary, or if we are more ambitious, and have blooming good storage, the Silver Wedding Anniversary. The Third and final tier is intended to celebrate the birth of the first child. I fear that Fanny may be waiting quite some time for that particular celebration. Maybe a sacrificial leathering is the best option after all.

Fanny Cradock Three Tier Cake

So, it's a spicy, fruity, slightly boozy cake fest in June. Once all three cakes are mixed up and baked, Fanny urges us to move swiftly onto the decoration. Almond Paste followed by Royal Icing is essential as a starting point. She advises that it is best to practice decoration on an entirely irrelevant cake that you just happen to have lying around. This is what she makes Johnnie do. Poor Johnnie, it keeps him occupied. He decorates the bottom layer with stars. I, on the other hand, do not have any irrelevant cakes, or indeed any that hang about too long, but I am always applying the knowledge that wise old Fanny gives me. So I know cakes should be blue. Mix the two together and surely this is the ultimate Third Fanny-versary cake? The big question is, will we still be together for the next five years of Fanny Fun required to compete the Cookery Programme? Our next Fanny-versary is the much more suitable Fruit and Flowers, so don't be scared...

Fanny Cradock Three Tier Cake

14 comments:

  1. Aww, Happy Fanny-versary. Always a joy to read your ruminations. I'll have a gin for you n Fanny tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank-you kind Sir, always appreciate your support - especially above and beyond in the Gin department... By the way, great idea...

      Delete
  2. Happy third Fanny-versary - now there's a ditto I never thought I'd write! Love your blog, you bring Fanny to life, whilst never mocking her. I always finish reading with a huge smile on my face. Probably my favourite blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably? ;-) Thanks, totally appreciate that... Hope you continue to enjoy my ramblings!

      Delete
  3. Happy Fanny-versify! Perhaps you can make our wedding cake before you jet off 😉

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I will need to practice a heck of a lot before even considering that ;-) Thanks...

      Delete
  4. Happy 3rd Fanny - versary. Your posts are guaranteed to bring a smile to my face & I love picking up baking & cooking tips from Fanny along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, that's great to hear - and great that we can swap things through our blogs!

      Delete
  5. Belated, but a Happy Bloggy Birthday to you. I forgot to celebrate mine early this year, must remember for next year. PS autocorrect messed up your comment on my blog, you must come over and see - it will make you giggle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed so much, ooooops! Thanks... #ToiletHumour

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on your third anniversary! It was my 5th anniversary last week but have been very busy in finding wedding venues NYC for my sister’s wedding in couple of months and couldn’t even celebrate it. Will be celebrating with full fervor next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, make sure you do celebrate its a great milestone! Well done!

      Delete