Monday 11 August 2014

Is Aspic still aspirational?

Fanny says I'm not ready to learn about the delights of 'real' Aspic just yet. What could it be about this savoury jelly used to suspend all sorts of vegetables and salads to protect them from exposure to the nasty air, that I'm not ready for? Yes, salads. I'm not absolutely sure I'm ready to learn about Aspic at all if the truth be told. Perhaps it's one of the long forgotten culinary arts that should remain in history? Fanny insists though that this particular 'branch' of garnish and presentation (after all, there is nothing more important) should be learnt properly to avoid savoury jellies which taste of nothing at all, or at best like a cross between cold tea and sea water. Imagine the shame when the well-to-do guests dive into the lovingly created buffet table only to gag in horror if the aspic tastes gruesome?


It's almost as if Fanny is tempting us in with the promise that if we first master the 'simple' stuff, she will reveal how to whip up the 'real' Aspic in a later partwork. When we are ready for such elaboration. The simple version is a mix of stock, egg white, eggshell (indeed), wine vinegar, sherry and seasoning. Oh and gelatine. Will a vegetarian version work? I'm assuming that the ingredients have some sort of magical chemical reaction which makes them taste sensational when set. Will agar powder cut it?Maybe I'm focusing on the wrong thing - instead of wondering if it will set, I really should be wondering why the heck? 


Most of the ingredients need to simply mingled together in a pan, but first I have to wash the eggshell and 'pare away' the inner skin. It must ruin everything or something, Fanny doesn't say. The washed, crushed shells go into the pan to be heated up, moderately. Once the agar powder has dissolved, Fanny says to whisk it (although you understand she is talking about gelatine powder really) vigorously until a scum appears on the top. I clearly should've paid more attention during science at school, it was fascinating to see it change colour completely before my eyes, and 'scum up' just as Fanny said. The next instruction is to then allow the mixture to reach boiling without touching it before lowering the heat to the lowest possible setting. Fanny says to draw the pan to the side of the burner so that it just puffs and heaves. 


Ten minutes later, the pan comes off the heat to sit for a further three minutes. I'm remembering now why I didn't pay that much attention in science class, the fascination is wearing thin. All this precision and concentration is a little boring. Sorry. Fanny says to strain the mixture through a jelly bag, but I don't have one, so I improvise with some muslin and a small sieve. Fanny says the Aspic that runs through will be pale, clear and modest. Erm. Mine is a bit cloudy, but I reckon that my stock was more cloudy to begin with than the bone stock Fanny used herself. Maybe I should've made my own veggie stock, that'll teach me.


So, the reason for making this Aspic in the first place is to produce an engraved presentation for the aforementioned buffet. I was more into art than science at school, so this is appealing again. Fanny says to swirl a small amount of Aspic into an ordinary pudding bowl, and then to quickly place little scraps of vegetable into a pattern she shows which she suggests is appealing. Once set in place they are secured with little spoonfuls of Aspic before filling the bowl and leaving to set entirely. As if this is not enough to drive my buffet guests giddy, Fanny shows me how to make Salad Flowers from cucumber and tomato. It's essentially taking strips off the cucumber, assembling five thin slices in a circle, adding little crescents of tomato flesh and stem and leaf details. I kind of like it though. Above all, garnish and presentation. As for the Aspic? It looks good actually, and certainly tastes of stock, sherry and vinegar with little bits of vegetable suspended in it. Not a whiff of cold tea or the sea. Possibly I'm never going to be sold completely but we'll see what reaction I get from my buffet guests and let that be the decider. 

14 comments:

  1. What a lot of work! Looks pretty but so much effort. I have a recipe for salmon in aspic and recipe says I need 3/4 pint of aspic jelly, I was wondering if I could buy it??? Or maybe I'll follow Fanny's recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She gives a recipe for Emergency Aspic too, which is a tin of consommé, with a pint of water added, juice of a lemon, 2 fl oz of sherry and 1 1/2oz gelatine dissolved in 6 tablespoons cold water - heat everything except gelatine, then stir it in... Fanny knows best, make your own!

      Delete
  2. Great thanks, right you've inspired me and will make my own!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll pop the complete recipe up tomorrow, it's really not too much trouble to make... ;-)

      Delete
  3. It does look pretty! Especially the flower. Love a wee arty salad. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will transform my buffet after all! Thanks...

      Delete
  4. Very impressive. I never thought a post that included the words - gag, scum, puff and heave would end so prettily :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I guess my word choices have betrayed my feelings towards Aspic ;-)

      Delete
  5. I love this post. I can hear Fanny superciliously admonishing you throughout and shaming you into learning how to make aspic properly in the first paragraph. By time it gets to puffing and heaving, well that's pure Fanny. The finished product looks so authentic, and I know it was a lot of work. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks so much, that really means a lot to me!

      Delete
  6. What a pretty picture! You've really worked hard on this one, I'm sure I wouldn't be so dedicated. Glad you are though & looking forward to Fanny's next jelly culinary delight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's FABULOUS! And I am STILL a bit of an aspic fan too......I remember my mum making stuff with aspic, probably from on of Fanny's books, and they always looked so pretty and tasted good too! GREAT post! Karen xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, it seems to be more popular than I thought! Fanny seems to like to cover lamb chops with rows of peas and cover them in aspic... Just not sure there is a good veggie equivalent for me to try!

      Delete